Progess is good, right?!
Well, the first UFO of the bunch has been completed. Tree Pose Yoga Mat bag is now finished, and I *love* it!!! It was a first for me in a couple of cases. I had never before made any icord, and it was a breeze, though time consuming. I was right though, doing it in front of the tv was a good idea. Many shows on HGTV, Food Network, and W Network were watched while I slaved away at the icord. It was also the first project where I made a round bottom.
It was really ingenious the way you made it. You started with about 14 stitches, and made short rows to make little triangles, then turned or didn’t turn, and started your next triangle off the edge of the next. It was fast too, took a little over an hour to make the bottom once I got the hang of it.
Sewing the whole piece together was finicky of course, especially when trying to ease the bottom in, but I took some time to make sure it was done right. The icord though, oi! There was a lot of it. 3 26 inch cords braided together for the handle, and then 1 40 inch cord for the top. It is perfect though, and I’m really glad I went with the Shine Sport from Knit Picks. It had some give, but not too much, and I was able to stick to the natural fibers for it too. The pattern called for a wool blend to allow for some felting, but I simply adjusted my gauge and skipped this stop altogether.
All in all, I’m very happy. It’s well made, strong enough to hold my mat for an extended period of time, and it was interesting. I thought about yoga and my body and keeping it healthy the whole time, and I’m hoping to unroll the matt tonight and do a few empowering poses.
Also, Monday morning I finished a quick drawstring bag I whipped up for my boyfriend to keep his snowboarding goggles in.
It also was a quick knit, and he loves it. There was supposed to be icord as the string closure, but we chose instead to use elastic cord and a plastic push-stop closure (like you find on ski jackets to tighten the bottom) which he purchased at Wal Mart. I also used acrylic (ugh!) for the bag, for two simple reasons. First, I wanted to make sure it would be durable, able to stand up to a beating, go into the washing machine, etc, and second, because it meant I could use yarn I already had, and wouldn’t have to buy any. I used Caron Simply Soft, and it only used probably a 1/3 of the ball, maybe a little more or less.
I’m going to tackle the Traveling Fern scarf next, and then probably the Twisted Tulip Socks and Icarus simaltaneously. Progress is VERY good!